Wednesday, May 26

Sonnet In Motion

Sonnet is two-months into her five-month work-leave from the V&A museum. She says: "Life is good. I am enjoying no commute. I am enjoying my kids. And the new house. Plus I am perfecting my pie, not withstanding the last disaster" which, I point out, was served at a dinner party hosted by us for six. Another story. Me, I love having Sonnet closer to home. Thank goodness, too, since our to-do list is now, like, a page long and includes things like "replace the smoke-detector" and "call British Gas re carbon monoxide." Ha, ha, wouldn't it be funny to read this if I was dead.

And what about the V&A? Sonnet was recently at Fashion In Motion showcasing Osman Yusefsada, from Afghanistan, whose dress Sonnet wore to her "New York Fashion Now" exhibition. As always, these things attract an enormous following and Sonnet able to get front-row seats for the visiting Smithies and herself. She tells me she misses work which I can appreciate since she is part of the museum. Is the museum. Who else may boast of an office surrounded by Renaissance furniture or Chinese porcelain or Silk Road textiles? Sonnet's world is haute couture and the fashion gallery remains the most popular draw despite its mostly fixed collection. This is why the exhibitions key - they draw inspiration and attract large audiences interested in high fashion which, dear reader, marks us all.