Saturday, July 4

Fencing Room and Sarah Palin Resigns

I'm up early for my long-run or two loops of Richmond Park plus an extra mile for good measure. Sonnet collects Eitan from Luke's overnight where the boys up until 3AM playing "dare" - when I ask what this means, I'm informed "running back and forth in the hallway" and "naked" despite Luke's mother threatening to send the boys home (I would not have been so happy about that one).

So Sarah Palin quits as Governor of Alaska in a rambling, blaming speech on July 4. Who knows why? Perhaps a 2012 Presidential run or to avoid rumours of further scandal; maybe she's just sick of politics or wants to protect her family who she dragged onto the national stage last year. I therefore read Todd Purdum's piece in Vanity Fair "It Came From Wasilla" which, along with a great title, exposes exceptional animus toward Palin by McCain's top aids during the Presidential campaign and revives questions about Palin's political acumen and future. It also makes a bunch of Conservative shitheads like William Kristol look pretty damn silly - Palin so clearly unqualified to be Vice President nor willing to invest herself for the role on full display with Katie Curic. Pitty further McCain's aids who knew she was unqualified yet doing their best to hoist her upon us; the Senator of course, having survived cancer scares.

My insight into the prima-dona, emotionally unstable, vindictive and incompetent Palin stems from my Internet company Ezoka, which I started with a piece of paper and my parent's support, eventually growing to 50 staff and institutional investors like Doughty Hanson. I chose a fully unqualified partner - a Korean with impeccable credentials from Stanford and Harvard - whose unravelling brought down the house and forced my departure. Whether her or Palin, the signals there and my greatest failure as an entrepreneur in this instance to not A) investigate thoroughly my partner's professional history, like the time Lord Hollick, the CEO of Unitied Business News, exclaimed: "I never want to see you in this office again"; and B) act decisively, early, when it became clear she was unstable. Of course, feedback often comes too late, as the case with Hollick, and once a path set very difficult to change course. By the time I knew the rotten egg, we had signed contracts, hired people, raised money and created responsibilities that could only be discharged together. Business partnerships more difficult to dissolve then marriage. Well, we learn from our follies and I certainly did: reference. Reference. And reference again. Own your mistakes. And brush yourself off to try again - really, what other choice is there?