Tuesday, October 7

Where Have Our Heroes Gone?


I catch Eitan watching the BBC and ask him if he understands the news (I keep it pretty general). He shrugs and gives me a blank-stare: this the last thing he needs to think about, his eyes tell me. I pat him on the shoulder and he bounces off to tap-tap-tap his football (nearby Madeleine's ears pricked BTW - she senses that her brother's 16-month age-advantage gives him access to the adult world somehow). I remember when Moe left his law-partnership to form another in the early '80s. He told me about the change on a Sunday afternoon while I read comic books on my bed. My reaction: why are you bothering me with this stuff? Moe eventually built one of the largest labour-law practices in California but the transition must have been stressful. On my side, I simply never worried about the foundation: as far as I was concerned, life was pretty damn hard with 6AM swim-practice and book reports. I knew my dad was a winner and that my parents loved each other; I never doubted my allowance. Sure, I was disappointed when we moved to the Berkeley hills because I couldn't have a basketball net over the garage but hey, those were the breaks. I wonder how many similar hard-working families will suffer the times we are in?

McC yesterday:
"I didn't just show up out of nowhere. After all, America knows me; you know my strengths and my faults; you know my story and my convictions." (pssst: k-e-a-t-i-n-g 5)
-> Too bad it is Sarah Palin running for President.