Monday, December 14

Christmas Photo, Take 2


I am in the hardware store this morning and overhear two lads: "You are in like Flynn, mate" which makes me wonder: what does this expression actually mean? (other then this guy getting into some girl's pants).  Here is what I dig up:


"The phrase is commonly said to be a reference to Errol Flynn, the Australian film actor. Flynn was famous for his romantic swashbuckler roles in Hollywood films and for his flamboyant private life.  His reputation as a hard-drinking, hell-raising ladies' man was apparently well justified, although it has doubtless been enhanced by his delight in playing up to his image.  For instance, he entitled his autobiography, 'My Wicked, Wicked Ways' and also did nothing to dispel the incredible but nonetheless widespread rumours as to the size of his penis and to the number of women he slept with."
--Phrases.org.uk


I have thought this a number of times in my life, though never with a full understanding of the expression.  Landing a job at an investment bank during the '80s - in like Flynn.  Getting into a top business school during the economic boomtimes.  In like Flynn.  Raising millions of dolllars to start an Internet company during the Go Go years.  In... Like .. . .  Flynn . . . I think of myself as an entrepreneur and risk-taker and all that, but the things I own today - that I value - seem to be the least risky.  Exhibit 1: Sonnet.  Somehow I knew she was perfect from the moment I met her and I had to be patient, allowing her to think the same of me. Hope she does - it is never a lock.  Exhibit 2: Family, who has never disappeared despite the ups and downs.  On more than one occasion they have picked me up when all else down. Moe, at a Florida condo by the pool while eZoka.com collapsing post dot-com: "I've got your back."  I do hope they have enjoyed the roller coaster ride without aging too much.  Finally, friends who make life fun and draw us between London and California.  So the short-term things that seem like a lock, a guarantee, have proved fleeting but those most dear long term.  As Judge Mike Ballachey, the Federal Judge who married me and Sonnet, once said: "As you get older, friends are like gold-dust."


Eitan: "Dad, do you have a mental problem?"