Saturday, August 3

More On Technique 10

When I was an age group swimmer, my stroke was a two-beat cross-over - in other words, my legs crossed hitting at the calf on every stroke. As noted, it was not an uncommon technique in the 1980s for long-distance events like the 500, 1000 and 1650 yards freestyle (NB US college-swimming is in yards and so the US competes "short course" 25-yards in the winter-spring season and "long course" 50-meters in the summer). 

My stroke, combined with breathing every three-rotations, served its purpose while also limiting - coaches in the 1980s emphasised distance vs efficiency.

As for training, as a kid I swam c 14,000 yards (c 12,900 meters) a day, five days a week plus Saturday or competitions on the weekend. That is a lot of muscle memory. To break the mode in my adult years I started using fins about ten years ago and, presto, slowed the arms, abandoning the cross-over and placing more effort onto the glutes, allowing me to concentrate .. on the hip-driven rotation.

Photo from 9th grade, inclusive of chlorine blond hair ont its way to green. 

NB my first 'button down' shirt in the photo purchased at The Limited, a new women's chain with a store at the Hilltop Mall in Richmond, CA (now for zombies) before Les Wexner was a business celebrity eventually associated with Jeffrey Epstein.