Monday, August 5

The Rhine 18

Visiting childhood friend David in Basel I swim what's there, or at least nearby, which is the Rhine.

There has been considerable rain in the Alps and the water level of the river is about 15 feet higher than normal and the current is easily 8 knots.  So David and I check it out and thumb it 'safe,' as long as I swim close to the river's edge. 

Next morning I skinny down the steep granite steps, flippers in hand, and think to myself, "this is rather stupid," and edge into a hard current and start wailing away as hard as I can, heading down stream - wrong way - thinking: this could actually be dangerous.

Eventually I find purchase and work my way back, against the current, averaging maybe 20 meters every 2 or 3 minutes until I find an inlet that allows me to hold my place.  Long and narrow commercial boats go by. Pedestrians look down and watch me like I'm crazy.  I swim for 80 minutes. 

As my coach Tim says, "you swim what's in front of you" which is true for many things beyond the Rhine.

Random selfie at David's house nicely suggesting the "why" of what I am doing.