Sunday, February 22

Ultra Races, The Lions And Madeleine's Reaction

Eitan pulls it down
I've been doing a spot of running and slowly up to 25 miles or so a week. This morning I connect with Alex for a seven mile loop of Richmond Park. Alex ran the Marathon des Sables in 2013 finishing 9th overall (des Sables is a six-day, 156 mile ultramarathon in the Sahara desert. It is considered the toughest footrace on Earth). We are joined by four other ultra- runners including Zoe who was third in des Sables last year. To join us, Zoe runs 13.5 miles and, I assume, she will run 13.5 miles afterwards to get home. I suppose if you love running, four hours of it is pure pleasure.

The next ultra race these guys will do is the Peak District 100. It ain't level.

The Sheen Lions host The Barnes Eagles on a muddy pitch on a freezing morning and lose 2-1 against a team in the bottom of the league table.  On the bright side, I am writing this from inside.

Me: "Your mother has something to tell you."
Madeleine: "Mom?"
Sonnet: "You go the part in the play!"
Madeleine: "Oh my God! Are you kidding?!"
Sonnet: "No honey."
Madeleine: "I am so happy."
Me: "Congratulations kid. You earned it."
Madeleine: "I can't believe it."