Friday, January 31

Dippy The Dinosaur


Dippy

King Edward VII gave "Dippy", a 26-meter Diplodocus, to the Natural History Museum in 1905.  I think he looks like Dino in the Flintstones.  But Dino a Snorkasaurus.  You know, a sauropod.

When I was in 2nd or 3rd grade, post school, I would find myself at Jeff Morgan's house watching Gilligan's Island followed by Star Trek and ... the Flintstones reruns, which otherwise aired on 'prime time' from 1960 to 1966. Hard to believe people watched cartoons while eating TV dinners but there you have it.

Jeff's brother, Louis, had cancer so his parents were never around which suited me and Jeff just fine - unsupervised afternoons, junk food ..  candy .. . as much television as we could handle.  We were modern day Tom Sawyers. That's what it seemed like back then.

Me: "What happened at school today?"
Madeleine: "Nothing."
Me: "Anything interesting happen?"
Madeleine: "No."
Me: "Let's try something different. You choose a subject. You know, something you want to talk about."
Madeleine: "How about 'can I leave the dinner table?" ?"
Me: "Ok, It's a start."