Saturday, December 21

Puente Viejo

The Old Bridge

We visit Ronda where Ernest Hemingway and Orson Welles spent many summers in the old town quarter "La Ciudad." Hemingway famously loved the bull-fighting machismo. Eitan and I check out the Old Bridge which was built from 1751 to 1793 and is 120 metres above the canyon floor.

The Guadavalin  River runs through the city, dividing it in two and carving out the steep, 100 plus meters deep El Tajo canyon upon which the city perches. Eitan and I scale the mountain wall then go for a five mile run alongside the river. Magic.

Eitan: "That's not very funny, Dad."
Me:
Eitan: "You like to laugh at your own jokes, don't you?"
Me: "Sometimes I laugh because you don't get my jokes."
Eitan:
Me: "Or because they make you laugh. Or because I find them funny."
Eitan:
Me: "Aren't you happy that I laugh all the time?"
Eitan gives me a weird look.