Wednesday, June 6

Little Rhody Is Miss USA


And just like that, a little girl's dreams can come true! Olivia Culpo of Rhode Island named Miss USA and will represent the United States at the Miss Universe pageant later this year.  Having once lived in , and painted, Providence, RI, I feel a special affinity towards Olivia's ambition.

Culpo, 20, competed in the traditional swimsuit and evening gown competitions at the Las Vegas pageant, but also answered a question about an issue that earlier this year 'vexed' the organisers of the Miss Universe pageant in Canada : Culpo was asked if it is fair that a transgender woman would win Miss USA over a natural born woman, and she answered, "I do think that would be fair, but I can understand that people would be a little apprehensive to take that road."  The starlet continued: "So many people out there who have a need to change for a happier life. I do accept that because I believe it is a free country."

Meanwhile, according to Fortune Magazine, there are 12 women CEOs of US Fortune 500 companies. The number of female directors on corporate boards is 12.6%.

Since this is half-term, I task Madeleine with a three-page written story and a three-page book report (Our Dear protests but chooses "War Horse", which she has read, over the first 50-pages of War And Peace, which I assign to Eitan). No way  Sonnet and I raising a pretty face, whatever Madeleine's life goals may be or become.