Thursday, May 17

Airport

I love these two schleppers, who plop down across from me, 7AM, Terminal 5.  They scheme about this and that and how they are going to make money so I cannot help but listen in.  Despite a lack of sleep and feeling grumpy, I appreciate their mood : in spite of everything, the world yet an oyster, and they are going to get some of it whatever, or wherever, it may be.

Meetings in Munich take me from the late morning into the early evening. Since my return flight 9PM, I check my suit and tie at the airport service centre and jog around the parking lot. Day trips are hard work. I meet several large family clients, including the Flicks, who own 20% of Daimler AG and built a fortune supplying industrial materials to Hitler and the German army.  Not sure how you reconcile that one but money helps.  The family owns one of the largest collections of modern art anywhere.

Munich hosting the UEFA Champions League final Saturday which pits Chelsea against Bayer Munich.  Since the home team playing, well, at home the city wild with anticipation . .. I am informed that a seat at Allianz Arena going for €30,000 on the scalper's market.  Other outdoor venues , showing the game on jumbotrons, also sold out.

Me: "Ok, kids, time for bed and tomorrow it's Friday and then the weekend."
Eitan: "And swimming Sunday morning."
Madeleine: "I hate the week end."
Eitan: "I don't like it either."
Me: "Well, if it's a bummer, that's the way life goes."
Madeleine: "You are not making it any better."
Me: "The weekend?"
Madeleine: "Life."