Wednesday, March 28

Blue

Me: "What's in your pocket?"
Madeleine: "Um, nothing."
Me: "Come on, let me see it."
Madeleine: "It's nothing . . "
Me: "Out, please."
Madeleine pulls a roll of "Butter Candies" from her pocket: "I wasn't going to show you because it was a surprise."
Me: "Oh, really now?"
Madeleine: "Yes, Dad. I was going to surprise you with a gift."
Me: "Do you think I was born yesterday?"

Later. Me: "What's in your mouth?"
Madeleine: "Mffmmm."
Me: "You have a Butter Candy in your mouth. You are so busted."
Madeleine:  "I wasn't trying to hide it or anything."
Me: "Oh?"
Madeleine: "You never believe me when I tell you anything."
Me: "I always believe you, just not everything you tell me."
Madeleine: "What's that supposed to mean?"
Me: "Spit it out please."
Madeleine: "You are so mean."