Wednesday, June 1

Par

Par Ardvisson from Sweden, pictured - my idol in 7th-8th grade. Ardvisson won the 100 m butterfly at the 1980 Moscow Olympics having set the world record two months earlier in Austin, Texas. He held the record 12 months until broken by American William Paulus who swam 53.81 vs. Arvidsson's 54.15 (Phelps went 49.82 in August '09). Between 1976 and 1983 Ardvisson was Swedish champion 22X and held the Swedish record in the 200 butterfly until 2008. Holy catfish. After graduating UC Berkeley he went to HBS and now business somewhere.


Madeleine and I walk the dog. Madeleine: "Why do people shave their pubic hair?"
Me: "Um . . ."
Madeleine: "I mean like swimmers. And bicyclist. Why do they do that ?"
Me: "Oh, well, it makes swimmers go faster and I guess cyclist feel different, like, smooth or something. When they shave their legs."
Madeleine: "Yeah. I wonder what it's like."
Me: "It is kind of silly, really. One day you will shave your legs every day. Just like I shave my face."
Madeleine: "That's a lot of work, isn't it Dad?"
Me: "Yep."
Madeleine: "Do you have to do it?"
Me: "Shave?"
Madeleine: "Grow up."

Me: "What do you think Auntie Katie does?"
Madeleine: "Does?"
Me: "Yeah. During the day. For work."
Madeleine: "Op Ed Project."
Me: "More, please."
Madeleine: "Well, first she sleeps in. Then she gets up and goes to her office. And talks on the phone and works on her computer and stuff."
Me: "That's pretty good. Do you think she works late at night?"
Madeleine: "Yes. She's a night owl. Like me."
Me: "Yep."
Madeleine: "And she's a movie star."