Monday, June 13

Mr Cool


<-- Chas



Chas and I go way back to College Pro Painters where I owned the Providence RI franchise and Chas the Production Manager (Eric being the "labour"). Some of my best stories from that era : like the time Chas and I took a 32' ladder and broke into a dude's second-floor apartment to retrieve papers he was using to .. blackmail me. But that is for another time, Dear Reader. Chas's reptilian nature meant he was cool under pressure - nothing bothered him : damaged property ? No problemo. Stolen equipment ? We'll deal with it. Over budget on the job ? You're fired. I often wonder if Chas, Eric, Roger and I will come together and start a company but I think it is ever less likely as we have settled into different cities, routines and lives.

I walk in the door following the red eye (Sonnet goes straight to work): "Hey, guys - I'm home!"
Eitan, Madeleine: "Dad! "
Me: "Did everybody do their chores?"
Madeleine: "See, Dad, you are here for five minutes and already you have to ruin it."
Me: "Well, did you?"
Eitan: "Yes. Well, sort of."
Me: "I don't see 'checks' by the jobs you were supposed to do."
Madeleine: "That's because it was raining."
Me: "How about the stuff inside?"
Madeleine: "The cleaner is coming."
Me: "Wrong answer."
Madeleine: "You can't expect us to do everything can you?"
Me: "How about if you just do what's on the list?"
Madeleine:
Me: "You are not leaving this house until you vacuum the living room."
Madeleine: "You mean I don't have to go to school?"
Me: "You are not watching television until you vacuum the living room."
Madeleine: "That is so unfair!"