Monday, May 30

Escalator Underground

These kiddos are cool cats, pictured. Did you know under-11s free on the tube? First time I've gotten anything for free in this city.


Madeleine has suggested hints of interest in Justin Bieber and who can blame her? I come down hard on Eitan's snarky remarks "Everybody hates him" and so fair enough. To the boy's credit he can name 3 Bieber songs. Yet it is Madeleine's decision to check out the tweenie heart-throb so I happily buy her Bieber's CD @ HMV Picadilly. I further get on Eitan's case as the boy refuses to visit the impressionists @ the National Gallery choosing, instead, to sit on a bench. Madeleine's mind open , at least, to Bieber and the finest paintings on offer anywhere. My opinion. She and I see van Gogh's "Sunflowers", Monet's "Lilly Pads" and Pissaro's "Paris Street in Winter." I promise to keep the tour to three only but slip in another handful. We walk hand-to-hand through the crowds - mainly, you see, to pull me along.

Me: "There is a reason people from all over the world come here, the National Gallery, to see the paintings."
Eitan: "Yeah well they are boring."
Me: "You haven't even checked them out. How do you know?"
Eitan: "We studied them in school"
Me: "You should appreciate these treasures are right in front of you and for free, for Pete's sake."
Madeleine: "Yeah, Eitan, for Pete's sake."
Eitan: "It's not my fault that I don't find them interesting."
Me: "Well too bad for you."
Madeleine: "Yeah too bad for you."
Me: "Thank you Madeleine but I've got it covered."
Madeleine: "Can I go to the gift shop now?"