Wednesday, January 12

A Sprain

I arrive home to find Madeleine on the coach instead of band and swimming practice: "sprained arm, Dad" she tells me without looking away from the TV. "It might be broken." She and Billy rough-housing at school and, Aneta informs me, no tears until Sonnet on the mobile then some considerable drama. I feel Madeleine's arm and get a few good yelps so I don't doubt that Billy gave her a twist. When I query, gravely, whether a trip to the doctor in order she replies "Maybe after 'Nemo.' Mom is taking me to the emergency tomorrow morning if it does not get better." Later, over dinner, we discuss bedtime. I tell Madeleine she cannot possibly sleep in her bed since it might cause harm to the injury. Instead, we agree, the bathtub. Sonnet unsure if I am joking as Madeleine takes her blanket, and Doggie, into the tub.


Me: "Madeleine, I've discussed it with your mother, and we think you should sleep in your bed."
Madeleine: "That will definitely be difficult. On my arm."
Me: "If you are going to the emergency tomorrow, I want you to be rested."
Madeleine: "Yeah. It's not very comfortable in here either."
Me: "You're a very tough girl to suffer all this pain."
Madeleine: "Do you think so?"
Me: "I know so."