Tuesday, January 5

Bring It On


Since I am at home and it is cold outside, I ponder the New Year and what to make of it.  Firstly, we do not do resolutions. I have never been overly preoccupied with the usual unobtainable - you know, quitting smoking or drink; losing weight or making a raise. More travel. Yoga. Improve myself. Ok, I do worry about my gut and I suppose quitting the drink would solve two concerns but oh, well.  Rather, I am about specific goals - like running a marathon or reading Gravity's Rainbow and being able to discuss it with Connally (yeah, right). This year will be The Mortgage.  Pretty simple that, really.  There is other stuff brewing re Sonnet's work but for now mum's the word.  Mostly I want to do what most dads want to do: be a better dad.  For me, this means turning off the computer or blackberry when the kids around. Making family dinner the unassailable priority on the day. Regulate my authoritative and controlling side. Be more organised. Smother the kids with affection though it drives them crazy. Try not to embarrass them in front of their friends (note to self: in Britain "pants" are underpants, not trousers). Try to appreciate these little dudes are independent and no longer my sole possession. Live in the moment and love every day.