Saturday, October 11

Pandemonium


It is a beautiful day which makes football this morning a pleasure. The kids descend on the park with joy in their hearts, and mine too: I kick the ball around with Eitan, Bertie and other kids before their session which follows Madeleine. I chat up the other dads, who are mostly pre-occupied with the financial mess but what me worry? At the Richmond Bridge we seat ourselves on the embankment and people-watch (me, really) while the kiddos collect polished glass. Meanwhile beforehand, we visit Pandemonium which is our local toy store similar to Mr Mopps in Berkeley. Eitan has 5X ten-pound vouchers+his allowance which is a fortune for him. He is giddy with excitement, and chooses a Ferrari GT-Active race-car set complete with track and slot cars. Ah, yes - every boy's dream-come-true. I had mine in '78 when we bought a used set in Carmel Valley at a yard-sale. Grace made a felt-covered platform and I spent hours racing various Hot Wheels, oh yea (30 years later: thank you mom!). I get excited just thinking about it. In the end and after the eventual 11-year old's boredom settled in, I made Evil Knievel ramps over fire burning, oil filled pans and jumped the cars over the flame. Not sure where my parents were when doing this. Madeleine has her own money to spend or about ten quid, which goes to "crazy bones" and a red-ruby ring. Everybody happy though of course Madeleine a tad jealous of her older brother. Same as it ever was.

At the Richmond Green I watch a group of teen-agers similar to Paris. I don't think they can be much older than 15 but they are clearly in their own world and the boys are comfortable with the girls and vice-versa. They lie on top of each other, literally. The boys sport a mussy-hair style with stripy sweaters and tight, low hung trousers while the chicas wear black-tights under short-shorts- provocative comes to mind. I missed these exciting times due to swimming but hey, I am not complaining (I think). Eitan decides to run around the green which is perhaps half-mile circumference and does so eight times. He is motivated. Madeleine and I watch together she sitting in my lap as the sun begins to set towards the river. Magic.

"Feast your eyes on this!"
Eitan regarding his new race track