Friday, October 10

80s


Madeleine over breakfast with Doggie and Kumon; picture from Christian.

My receptionist tells me she is going to a "jumble sale" which, I learn, is a flea-market (I think). She says sellers "chuck everything into the middle" while buyers buy it. This different from a "boot sale" where vendors arrive at some pre-arranged field in the middle of no where and sell their crapola from the car-trunk. Ghastly. In high school and college I shopped the second-hand for vintage - a favorite being Aardvark's on Telegraph Avenue in Berkeley. This was was pre-Gap and the street decidedly grungy. Aardvark's was the best place around to buy Hawaiian shirts and worked-over blue jeans. The trick was to find a nearly bleached washed pair with another few washes to go - not easy, Dear Sister. Not easy. I also trolled around for wing tips or funky jackets to cultivate my strange college style. Yes, it was unique - 80s hair (long on top, razor short on the sides), Funk Night and everything all that. Sonnet BTW prepares for her next exhibition at the V&A which will be on... 80s fashion, so maybe I can help her out, oh brother.

"
Were no strangers to love
You know the rules and so do i
A full commitments what Im thinking of
You wouldnt get this from any other guy

"I just wanna tell you how I'm feeling
Gotta make you understand

Never gonna give you up
Never gonna let you down
Never gonna run around and desert you
Never gonna make you cry
Never gonna say goodbye
Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you"

"Never Gonna Give You Up", Rick Asterly - best-selling single of 1987