Friday, January 26

Assembly

Eitan reads a short passage in front of his peers and their parents. I join the audience with Aggie and Madeleine, who picks up on the vibe and is excited for her brother. I ask Madeleine if she is nervous, and she replies: "yes daddy, but I am shy." We then have a general discussion about shyness and it turns out that kids are shy but adults not. As for Eitan, he's lined up on stage awaiting his turn for a go - the procession closes in, he flushes, Madeleine rubs her hands - then up he pops and belts out his words in the most perfect British accent. it's over, I'm relieved and Madeleine returns to her main interest: a treat. We mingle a bit with the parents and kids, then walk home together for an early afternoon (for me) and movie for them. Renata baby-sits while Sonnet and I have dinner with Mike and Gretchen Bransford at the Churcill Arms in Notting Hill.

This morning I ask Madeleine how we can make it easier for her to get going in the morning. Without missing a beat: "you can bring me breakfast in bed."