Wednesday, May 23

Timbre

Sonnet and Stan join me in Paris and so we have dinner at Le Timbre in the 6e, on recommendation from a friend chez Astorg. Le Timbre is one of those perfect neighbourhood restaurants and, as Stan notes " it really is a two man operation" - in fact, man and woman, as she takes reservations and serves us and maybe ten squeezed tables while he prepares the boeuf. And what boeuf it is : terrine de campagne confiture d'oignons, foie gras de canard maison.. . filet de cabillaud compote de tomates .. .the menu, below. Me, I go for the boudin noir bearnais puree aux herbes which also known as "blood pudding" in Ireland. And it is wonderful - a salty dried mash with crumbly bits over a potato herb puree. Thibault tells me : "It is what I would have ordered" so I know I am on to something special.

Today Sonnet and Stan at the opening of the "Degas et le nu" exhibition at the D'Orsay which, Sonnet notes, "titillating " as the painter spent some considerable time at a French brothel painting his hosts.  From the D'Orsay, Silver and Stan return to London via Terminus for oysters and lunch; me to work on rue due faubourg st honoree.