Thursday, July 23

Battersea Park


Battersea is a wonderful park on the southside of the Thames, across from Chelsea - I have taken a similar picture before. It is not the biggest park (that goes to Richmond) but there are lots of practical things like grass tennis courts and a quarter mile track. There is an efficient zoo and plenty of green lawn for sitting (all of this behind the photo). Yes, dad is on patrol. We are in this neighborhood to explore the kennel since Madeleine researching a dog (I used to tell her she could have one when she a teen-ager but have since relented to our next house). She has proven her aptitude with two gold-fish who remain with us after six months and takes her responsibility seriously doing Google searches on various breeds and marking her notebook - some dogs, like the border collie, which receives a 'star.' Unfortunately the dog pound closed - tears, oh sweet tears - so we end up having a "treat" and, as luck would have it, the dog-walkers out in full-force, slurping coffee and chatting about their 20 or so well groomed breeds. Edwin joins us and I tell him: "it feels like Northern California. Accept for the Battersea Power Station". Here we are, surrounded by manicured lawns, flower beds and ancient oaks with only the tip of a massive water structure visible above the treeline. How strange this, in the midst of the most urban place in the world.

Eitan's pals Luke (who I call "Lukazaid" following our five-mile "fun run") and Freddy come over for a play-date, which means lots of screaming and howling (me to Freddy: "do you act like an animal when your friends come over?" He smirks). We have lunch and, to get the kids from playing football inside, I set up brushes and water-colors and order them to "paint me a story." They are now outside with Madeleine who uses her skate-board to glean attention. Smart girl, I like. We go to the park for some frisbee and football; the boys beg to climb trees in the shrubs (my only rule: as long as I can see you little rats). Eitan and Madeleine fight. For real. Luke falls from a tree. The nannies look at me with some suspicion as I wrestle a bit too enthusiasticly. Madeleine: I am bored. Can't we do something fun for kids? Me to her: You're a kid, tell me what you want to do? She rolls her eyes. The boys now kick the football against the living room wall ("come on, we do it all the time." I bet). There is a good reason I go to work - to r-e-l-a-x.

"Ippa Dippa Dation, My operation
how many people at the station?
one, two three, four, five, five, six, seven, eight!"
--Eitan (who lands on 'eight' wins. Of course.)

Me to Freddy: "Does your dad sing?
Freddy: "No"
Me: "Really, never?"
Freddy: "Well, only when he wants to embarrass me.
Me (directed to Eitan): Oh, really?"
Freddy: "Yes, he sings the 'chicken poo-poo song.'"

Eitan: "Oh, Dad, you always make play dates boring (he checks the table as to who is bored). I am going to go to bed." (puts head in hands)

Madeleine: "Can I have something to eat?"
Me: "Sure, why don't pour yourself two spoonfuls of sugar .. ."
Freddy, Luke, Eitan: "Yes! Yes! Yes !!"