Saturday, May 9

Wig+Run


Here is Catherine and hubbie Peter at her "gett'n jiggy with the wiggy" party (I pinch the photo from her FB). Neat couple, and we remember her wonderful wedding in Pacific Palisades - which was about 115 degrees and me in a very black tuxedo+disco dancing then a drive north to San Francisco on the HW1. What else compares?

This morning is the school "fun run" or a five-mile jaunt through Richmond Park ending on the playground. 350 children, parents and teachers participate or maybe 100 more than last year. I might suggest the morning a fairly relaxed affair and while the course measured there are plenty of short-cuts pursued en route. Strangely some of the adults pretend like it is the Iron Man or something and complain about finishing in one piece. I guess the complaining a bonding thing. Or complacency makes one week. I run with Eitan, Harry and Luke who I take to calling "Lukazade" after the sports-drink. I ask the boys to join me in maths calculations to help endure the pain, dear reader, which gets their stony silence between huffs and puffs. We walk a few times and work out a stitch (Harry had flap-jacks an hour beforehand but insists he is not going to barf). We finish in 52:25 which not a bad go for a bunch of 8-year olds. I spend the morning's remainder working the BBQ serving up beef-burgers and sausages, Cokes and Krispy Kremes with the other volunteers - you know, healthy food. Eitan wraps it up with a pick-up football match and I let him play, sunning myself in the warm sunshine.