Monday, June 22

Summer Fair IV


I arrive home late Friday evening greeted by Sonnet and the kids, who are a bit too excited about Saturday's school Summer Fair which, dear reader, I am partly responsible for again. Glutton for punishment. So early Saturday morning I turn around again, out of the house early and with a coffee drip keeping me alive. The fair mostly runs itself as the mums of the various classes converge last minute to set up rides, stalls, auctions, toys, bbq, drinks, candy floss and so on and so forth. Tempers can run hot as everything never perfect and I avoid several gals who have something on their mind that just simply must come out. This, you see, my management style. The past few years we have netted around £13 or £14 grand but this year will be down maybe 15% due to the recession as the high street less willing or able to support us. Still, this ain't bad for a PTA afternoon and as a bonus, we get some community building to boot. The weather holds out, despite a forecast for rain, and large puffy (sometimes threatening) clouds sail overhead. Who can forget two years ago when celeb Angie Best (deceased football legend George Best's wife) officially opened the fair and it flooded on queue. Angie, of course, wearing snake skin pants and high-heels. Between racing around and saying my greetings, I also hang with the youngsters. For no reason at all I wear a pair of pink goggles which only the kids will ask: "why?" to which I respond: "why not?" To those of you who think my outrageous school ground behavior goes unrewarded, on intrepid young lad marches up to me and states: "you are the cow legend" then walks off, leaving us adults bemused. In short, I am in my sweet spot.