Monday, November 3

Lodgings


From the castle we go to a hunting llodge that dates to the 17th century now converted into a luxury hotel which, in Britain, means a decent bathroom and pool-spa (hot-tub like it is a big deal) which we put to use. Eitan brings a football good for the ground's healthy green allowing us to kick it about (the other guests are enamored with the action on an other wise stuffy estate. At least I think so). Madeleine in particular gets into the action and I impress upon her the need to "push, pull and kick" her way to a goal. When she goes for the blatent fish-punch I tell her she has to be subtle - "football is a game of secrets" I say. Eitan just grins - I've coached this into him years ago, Dear Brother. Such pearls of wisdom that drop from a tree. Madeleine remains forever the tom-boy and we practice headers until it gets too dark to see the ball. From there we swim, again, then dinner. Everybody way tired and I have to growl at Madeleine to sit-up straight - she is so tired she can barely be contained, poor child. Inevitably this turns into a giddy exchange and finally I join in the fun. In my defense (assuming Sonnet reads) I did get napkins in laps and cutlery (this morning Eitan stuffs the better part of a full English breakfast into his mouth with his hands). We have a great giggle before the light's out, which is 8:30PM. Since it doesn't seem quite fair to keep a reading light on I go to bed at this hour too and you know what? It feels great.

"I fully understand those who say you can't win this thing militarily. That's exactly what the United States military says."
W., on the need for political progress in Iraq. Oct. 17, 2007

"My job is a decision-making job, and as a result, I make a lot of decisions."
W., Lancaster, Pa., Oct. 3, 2007