Wednesday, August 13

Dinosaurs


Madeleine. "Is that our car, dad? Is it?" Some questions should not be answered.

After the canyons we drive to Fruita to visit a dinosaur museum. The Western Slope is one of the most active digs in the world covering the Jurassic and Cretaceous periods or 145 million years ago. The first discovery of dinosaur bones in Colorado was made near Canyon City in late 1869 referenced in a now famously lost newspaper article that referenced huge bones in a curio shop in Canon. We see bones and replicas of Diplodocinae, Ornithomimus and Tyrannosaurus while various hands-on activities keep the Shakespeares occupied. It is not a big museum but this is by no means a negative. On display through plate-glass is the broader collection which is stacked neatly in row upon row. Neat. Of equal or greater interest is McDonalds next door which has a play-pen. By the time we return to the parking lot ours the only car remaining - pictured.

On the ride home we hear a campaign add which ends with "I am John McCain and I approve this message." This leads to: "I am Eitan and I like to eat broccoli" and "I am Madeleine and I do Kumon every day." This for at least ten miles.