Sunday, August 10

Fathers and Daughters

Stan and Sonnet - red engine behind them. The firemen are here in force - serving up a pancake breakfast and giving train rides to the kiddies. Most off them have mustaches and I wonder why, whether New York or Colorado or wherever, mustaches go with the job? Any case, it is cool and I tried one last summer but chickened out before returning to London. I can say with some certainty that I have never met anybody with a mustache in private equity. Too bad to because it would be memorable. Silver and I discuss my industry's diversity and along with mustaches, minorities are also poorly represented. At the annual Super Returns conference which draws >2000 delegates there is not one black person I recall and may be forty or fifty women. Everybody has a similar Hermès tie, slick hair and glasses - in short, it is a mature industry. When everybody looks the same you know any inefficiencies have been wrung out and trouble ahead.

President Bush advises the US Olympics basket ball team that
"a best defense is the best offense." This insight seen by like 4 billion people. Why can't he just go away?

Is Edwards the dumbest man in America? To think this prick could have been the Democratic candidate.