Friday, July 4

Happy 4th!


Madeleine at arts & crafts. She works on a bust. My photo from a blackberry so sorry for the poor quality.

Yesterday I return from Copenhagen where I am with Mike. We meet some investors and take in the good weather while sitting by the water - little mermaid! - and contemplate investments and life, which is good. Returning to Heathrow I discover my car key lost - the only one I have BTW (as Sonnet says: "I'm glad it was you." I agree). What a nuissance - despite databases, vehicle identification numbers and technology, I am required to go the dealer in person to order a new key. Once the key arrives in three days, I must bring the car to the dealer for new programming. To do so, the car must be towed. It now sits in the business park, racking up £40 a day. Sigh.

Eitan and Madeleine have sports day at school. While both are excited, Eitan is especially excited. He goes to bed at 7PM and eats an extra bowl off cereal. He sets his alarm at 4:35AM for some reason then can't go back to sleep. In short: the boy is amped. The trials are for years one and two, and the parents - about 300 of us - gather on the main lawn and watch the teachers and Head Teacher prepare the sports. By coincidence Eitan is in the first-heat and all the kids chant: "Eitan! Eitan! Eitan!" (much to my surprise, BTW). The School Deputy blows a whistle and the kids race about 70 yards down a marked stretch to break the tape. Eitan wins his race and content with himself. Madeleine also proves a fierce competitor, placing second to an uncorrected false-start (not that we parents are noticing). Following the speed work comes the obstacle course: jumps, hoops, ropes and water cups, which are skipped, balanced and bounced. It's all good fun, and I'm smart enough to duck out before the parent races (Sonnet's is dragged in by Madeleine).