Thursday, May 29

Packard Bell CD Case

Loved, no longer

Remarkably this cardboard box may be the oldest thing I own other than a few cherished photographs and my comic book collection (lovingly stored at 1530, drip fed to Madeleine from visits home).  The packet dates to 1997 when I bought a Packard Bell home computer junked (I somehow recall) in 2001, piece of hardware crap.  The CD case stayed with me, though, moving from flats in Maida Vale W9 to our house in Richmond.

Usually it was stuffed with software back-ups for notebooks, printers, routers, etc etc - every couple years I pruned the unused items. It gave me pleasure to have such an untidy old thing storing the most sophisticated technology of the moment.

Today I throw it out.  CDs are artifacts that Eitan and Madeleine have never known. Move on.