Wednesday, August 3

Father, Son

Back in action. To all my Dear Readers : You may relax. Here I am with my father on the Upper West side.


The Orenstein-Stanfill family circus departs Vermont, cruising along the Taconic for 124 miles, then Bronxville. I do not get lost which happens every time - and I do mean every time - I visit my Aunt and Uncle. There was the evening, for instance, when Dan and I procured the family car, against Larry's will who cautioned we would never find the Bronxville exit, to hit the Palladium and disco clubs. This was '85, two weeks before freshman orientation, and no way were we going to miss the action nor be constrained by the Metro-North . So, of course , we get lost and end up God-knows-where at 4AM. So upset are we that I flag a driver who says "Follow me!" and takes us on a goose chase. We eventually break away and somehow stumble upon Sarah Lawrence College (in Bronxville) and home. Sunrise. Marcia notes the fuel tank empty. It took me about 20 years to earn that one back from Larry.