Monday, July 18

Birthday, 1985

My mother's birthday letter, 18 years old :

"Dear Jeff -
We've said goodbye before, not too long ago, it seems, when you were off to Switzerland. And on your 18th birthday, I'm thinking of the goodbye ahead of us, in August when you take off for Brown.
You've learned a lot about the world and about the people in it - and about who you are and how you fit in. And now you're on your own. Seems unreal, doesn't it?
I haven't any words of wisdom. You've lived your life with gusto and humor and purpose. You've taken yourself seriously, and in the process have taught me. I'm proud to have participated in your growing-up. It has been a wonderful, unbeatable experience in all its parts , for which I feel especially blessed.
Happy 18th!
Love,
Mom
"

Photo source? 1985, 1530 Euclid Ave.