Wednesday, May 18

Skeptical

I pick up Madeleine from school.
Me: "How was your day?"
Madeleine: "Fine."
Me: "More than one word please."
Madeleine: "Very fine."
Me: "What did you do?"
Madeleine: "We had our first day of school council."
Me: "That's cool."
Madeleine: "I proposed to change the school song, which is really boring, to something new."
Me: "Neat. Like what?"
Madeleine: "I don't know. Just something that is not rock and roll because adults don't like it."
Me: "Good idea."
Madeleine: "So I said Elvis Presley"
Me: "Do you think they are going to go for it?"
Madeleine: "Well, Mrs. X looked at me kind of funny. So probably not."

Me: "Do you know what 'sceptical' means?"
Madeleine: "Dad, I am trying to read. Just leave me alone."
Me: "Fine. Just tell me what it means."
Madeleine: "Dad . ."
Me: "It means 'having doubt.'"
Madeleine: "Ok, Dad, now leave me alone."
Me: "Use it in a sentence."
Madeleine: "I am skeptical that you will ever leave me alone."
Me: "Works."