Sunday, March 6

Monday Morning

Sonnet bolts early and I walk the dog. I will swim a few laps soon - beats taking a shower. The kids wander downstairs dressed and ready to go and in a happy mood - Madeleine notes thumbs "middle to up" which is as good as it has been since last summer. Maybe it's the sunshine which floods into the conservatory and warms the kitchen.

Eitan makes breakfast.
Me: "What is that?"
Eitan: "I'm making cinnamon toast."
Me: "All I see is a lot of sugar."
Eitan: "That's the recipe. Sugar, cinnamon and toast."
Madeleine: "Eitan's not supposed to eat sugar in the morning."
Me: "Thank you, Madeleine. That won't be happening again."
Eitan: "Ohhh it's heavenly . . .."

Madeleine pokes her head into the bedroom as I am about to take a nap.
Me: "Hey, kid, what are you up to?"
Madeleine: "Um, nothing. I'm going to play the trumpet."

Eitan, lying on the floor with Rusty: "Rusty just stepped on my balls."

Madeleine, over the sink, drinks from a ladle.
Me: "What are you doing?"
Madeleine: "Discovering a new way of drinking."