Saturday, November 6

Saint P

The boy and I check out Colet Court, where Eitan would go for a year if were to attend St Paul's School (which celebrated its 500th anniversary last year). We do the shuffle through various departments (the school grounds on 45 acres. This is twice the size of Columbia Univ with all its undergrads and graduate programs) checking out the science lab (Eitan: "I am waiting to see if they light those bubbles on fire"), arts, computer center and library. My favorite the wood shop - man I could just lose myself here, like, today. Eitan takes it all in and shrugs it away. I don't know if Eitan (or Madeleine) will go to these schools (or if we can afford to send them there) but the level of opportunity tremendous. Certainly on par with Brown.


It is interesting to observe the attending families, who range from scruffy to extremely well groomed (since I am unshaved, I am the former). There is sizable ratio of Range Rovers in the parking area and I like to think my humble Golf keeps it real. 75,000 miles baby. The school staff love their boys and it shows at every touch point. The teachers poetic about their student's accomplishments in academics and sports or the arts. They are proud to be here. The drama department has played professional venues. Authors visit to discuss their books which are on the library shelves. Last year Prince Charles popped by. Before the Head Teacher addresses us, a sixth former performs Aaron Copeland's "The Cat And The Mouse" - it is brilliant. St Paul's a special place and no doubt exclusive - not many kids from state schools here. I have no worries for Eitan whether at St Paul's or somewhere else.

Jackson visits for an over-night. The kids take a break from a Charlie Brown DVD to eat pizza.
Madeleine: "Last year somebody brought a skunk to school. But it had a shot so it did not make any smelly farts. It was really cute with big eyes and we got to hold it."
Jackson: "Woa."
Madeleine: "Have you seen a raccoon?"
Jackson: "Not recently."
Madeleine: "Or a baby deer? In the wild."
Jackson: "I was about this far away from one" (indicates four feet)
Madeleine: "I was about this far" (indicates ten feet or the walls of the kitchen)
Jackson: "They come to our house (in Canada) and knock the doors down."
Madeleine: "If a bear attacks somebody three times, they kill it."
Jackson: "I didn't know that."
Madeleine: "The cut off its head. Then peel its fur and take out its eyeballs. Then they put it back together. It's really creepy."
Jackson: "Have you seen a moose?"
Madeleine: "No, I don't think so. Have you seen a Bald Eagle? Those are really cool."

Me: On a scale of one-to-ten, how much do I embarrass you with ten being the worst?"
Eitan: "Well, about a six. Unless you are singing or something then it is higher."
Me: "How about your mom?"
Eitan: "Three."
Me: "And your sister?"
Eitan: "She does not really embarrass me. She's just Madeleine."