Wednesday, August 11

Lake Alpine West #5

At the dinner table.
Sonnet: “You were a ping pong champion?”
Moe: “Seventh grade.”
Sonnet: “Moe grew up in St. Louis. In Missouri.”
Moe: “I beat Jimmy Chervitz. I beat him in his home, which was unusual. He was more experienced then me. We had some tough matches but I won two out of three. We then went to the principal and informed him that we had played at home. The principal said we had to play at school, during lunch time. So we did it again. And I beat him. Seventh grade champion. Then I got to play the 8th grade champion – Bob Allen. And he beat me, it was humiliating. All his friends were cheering. Bob Allen then played the 9th grade champion Ronald Scher in the school auditorium in front of the whole school. Ronald Scher was a nationally ranked ping pong player who just toyed with Bob then killed him. I was thrilled.”

We discuss what adults do at work.
Eitan: “Well, first they wake up at 7AM to get ready. They are grumpy and drink a lot of coffee, which they take with them to work”
Madeleine: “Do they play video games like in (TV program) The Office?”
Me:
Sonnet: “What do you think I do?
Madleine: “Play video games?”
Sonnet:
Madeleine: “Work on your computer and stuff?”
Sonnet: “Close enough.”
Eitan: “Computers are not innocent, you know. People can get killed on them.”
Madeleine: “No they don't.”
Eitan, matter-of-factly: “Yes they do. Like that time on Facebook when a teenager met somebody who said he was a teen-ager then killed her.”
Madeleine: “Is that true? Why would he want to kill a teenager?” (We have been discussing the Internet and never to communicate with somebody who approaches you or you do not know)