Wednesday, April 14

Passports

We have a family morning in town to renew our passports - here is the boy before the American Embassy, next to Grosvenor Square. Once upon a time, before 911, the Embassy open to the street and we strolled inside with no security. It is an administrative building, after all, and US soil since 1960 when the offices relocated from nearby Portland Place whose grounds now a private club popular with New Media during the go-go years. I hung out there once. Today, the Embassy a concrete monster consistent with the architectural style of that era when London awakening from the war and pouring concrete like nobody's business. In front of the Embassy is a statue of Eisenhower whose Supreme Headquarters of the Allied Expeditionary Force was kitty-corner to where I stand now taking Eitan's photo. By 2001, the building surrounded by road-blocks spread ten feet apart; by 2003, a steel gate, CCTV and entry check-points+police in Kevlar vests with machine guns. For final access, a US soldier sits behind a bullet-proof glass - his sole job to unlock the entrance door. He sits straight and looks directly at us. Before him yesterday, we pass security similar to any good airport and I must leave my wizzy gadgets with a guard. Sonnet brings water for the kids which I am asked to sample or spill. I drink. All this will one day be in the past, at least in Central London, for the Embassy will soon move.


After our passports, a fairly straight-forward process lasting maybe two hours, we have hot-chocolate and croissants ($50) and then to East Sheen (parking+congestion charge: $30). I spend my day in the office ringing my hands over the private equity fundraising business, down 70% last year, while Sonnet takes the kids into the park and other such playful things. As the sun sets near 7:30PM, I am home in time to run Eitan through some football drills before dinner. What am I doing here?

Eitan: "Dad, I just thought of a great name for a horror film."
Me:
Eitan: "It is 'I Thought The Game Was Over.'"
Me:
Eitan: "Or what about 'Friendless' (Eitan makes a grimacing face). 'Friendless.'"
Me:
Eitan: "I have another good one for an advertisement: 'What would happen if everything became chaos.'"
Me:
Eitan: "Or another one for a film: 'Dirty Blood.'"
Me: "Well, you certainly have a talent."

Madeleine reads from her hand: "Iceland is up top. And Britain is below her. France is next to Germany."
Me: "Well done. Why don't you get a piece of paper and draw a map?"
Madeleine: "No way" (she bolts the kitchen)
Me: "You are losing your chance."
Madeleine: "Of what?"
Me: "Impressing me."
She's gone.