Wednesday, March 3

Rodin

In Paris, I have a few free hours and, since sunny and spring-like, we go to one of my favorite museums. I am reminded of how sensual Rodin's works - pictured. Rodin's sculptures warm and intimate, provocative, nothing like the base materials of his craft -we look at something otherwise a formless marble. I learn that Rodin's older sister Maria died of peritonitis in a convent in 1862. Rodin was anguished and felt guilty because he introduced Maria to an unfaithful suitor. From her death, Rodin turned away from art and briefly joined a Catholic order. Father Eymard recognized Rodin's talent and, sensing his lack of suitability for the order, encouraged him to continue his sculpture. Without the Father, there would be no Thinker. Or Gates Of Hell or The Burghers of Calais. These things often a razor's edge and, just sometimes, we may appreciate a gift to humanity.


Me: "Have you kids ever found any money?"
Madeleine: "Once I found twenty pounds at that hotel."
Eitan: "I found five pounds, a two pound coin, two pounds and a 20p"
Madeleine: "You found 20p? I did not know that."
Eitan: "It's true Madeleine."
Me: "I once found £120 pounds at a cash machine. Somebody left it there."
Madeleine: "Did you steal it?"
Me:
Madeleine: "That must have been sooo nice."

Me: "how many pennies in a dollar?"
Eitan: "100."
Me: "So if I have a quarter, how many pennies in that?"
Eitan: "25."
Me: "And if I subtract a dime from a quarter, how many pennies left?"
Madeleine: "I am never going to understand this American money."