Tuesday, December 29

Sign 'O The Times

Last night's train to W'Loo. I now sit next to our hero while Eitan cleans the table/ does the dishes for "Caramel Chew Chew."  I blog.  Madeleine late at the table as she refuses her brussel sprouts.  Today I sample work for several hours but nothing going down. My building empty except for construction workers who tear out the lobby.  I ask if they are going to rob the place? which gets a few smirks.  50-50 which way that one goes.  From my office I drive Katie into town where she meets Sonnet and together they go to a fancy schmanzy spa to soak and massage. All naked, too, and a good thing since KT forgets her swim suit (Madeleine finishes another sprout and looks at me imploring but no-go until plate clean).  I don't really need to know who has a "Hollywood."

In other news, the world has not come to an end but a comprehensive hour-long program on this morning's Radio 4 with Andrew Mahr goes into detail how, inside eight years, the US went from the peak of its influence, post 9/11, to today - second soon to China.  Experts here and there give damning reviews of our strategy under el presidente. Our nation took its eye off the ball fighting Iraq while China squared its position in Africa, Russia, Latin America... we will look back sadly, Dear Americans.  So: do the times make the man or the man make the times?  I fear we have learned the hard way, the latter.

Madeleine excused from the dinner table.

Me: "Will you always give me a hug, even when you are a teen-ager?"
Madeleine: "I'm not sure. I can't see into the future."