Thursday, December 17

Downtown Anchorage


Silver sends me this far out photo from today's Anchorage Daily News, shot by Bob Hallihan. Wow. Sonnet grew up in Anchorage while Stan and Silver have more recently reclined to the Western Slope of the Colorado Rockies.  Sadly there is little chance I will make it to Alaska any time soon.  I had my chance during the courtship years when Sonnet and I in San Francisco.  From London it is at least 20 hours connecting via L.A. or Seattle.  Once upon a time there was a direct shot from London to Anchorage over the North Pole but no longer. Of course I am curious to see my wife's home-state given her stories, the 24-hour winter darkness, the aurora lights and Sarah who has proven herself to be dumber than the moose that cross Main Street. God bless. And here is what I am missing: Anchorage selected an All-American City four times in 1956, 1965, 1985 and 2002 by the National Civic League which is pretty damn cool for a place outside the lower-48 and miserably cold.  In high school, the kids hang out at Denny's.  At least Sonnet did.  Marcus was into the theatre and poetry slams before he picked up for Seattle.  My guess Anchorage includes frontiersmen, oil men, hippies, axe murders and poets+those looking for a new start and a grand adventure. One day, Inshallah.


"To the lover of wilderness, Alaska is one of the most wonderful countries in the world."
--John Muir


"Nothing is worth more than this day."
--Gooethe