Monday, December 7

Carol Ann And Pinsky


It is not exactly clear when "the festive season" (as these Brits like to call it) begins, but there are indicators soon upon us: stories on "the perfect party dress," polka-dotted knickers comprehensive; Church greeting cards, holiday recipes, office parties (admonishments to keep those knickers on); hang-over cure-alls; ecco trees and family brawling .. usual stuff.  My favorite "festive" indication from Poet Laureate Carol Anne Duffy, pictured (photo: Mirror), who the Shakespeares met this year at the British Library.  Duffy's seasonal greeting, a rendition of "the 12 Days of Christmas," to arrive complete on Christmas Day; today we must make due with drip-feeds:
"On the first day of Christmas, a buzzard on a branch. 
In Afghanistan, no partridge, pear tree; but my true love sent to me a card from home. 
I sat alone, crouched in  yellow dust, and traced the grins of my kids with my thumb.
Somewhere down the line, for another father, husband, brother, son, a bullet with his name on.
"


Miss Duffy, a 53-year-old lesbian born in the tough Gorbals area of Glasgow, became PL in May.  Her poem confirms that we have a confident observer, with strong voice, prepared to confront today's issues directly. Bravo.  Lord, do we need somebody like this.  I recall my high-school friend Nicole Pinsky whose father Robert served as the US Poet Laureate from 1997-2000.  Pinsky's work includes the acclaimed translation of Dante's Inferno (Nicole wrote the footnotes - which were exhaustive).  He, too, a forceful character. Not surprisingly BTW Nicole received an 800 on her SAT verbals or a couple hundred points higher then your's truly indicating a certain, ahem, accuracy to the all-important college entrance exam.  Duffy and Pinsky more important today then yester-year - after all, who is calling the Emperor's clothes? Palin? Fox's Glen Beck? The liberal blogosphere? I am at a loss


"I am all powerful."
--Eitan, sound asleep, sleep-talking (I love this one)