Tuesday, November 3

Supertanker


I am way deep into tankers, trying to sell five of them.  Know anybody? A supertanker, pictured, is generally more than 250,000 dead-weight tonnes (dwt) and capable of carrying two to three-million barrels of oil. The largest supertanker - in fact, the world's largest boat ever - the Jahre Viking who now rests permanently moored as the storage tanker Knock Nevis. Poor guy.  It weighs 564,763 dwt. In the 1950s, tankers with only a tenth of that capacity would have been called supertankers. That, as one says, is progress.  Photo of the SKS Tanker from their website.  Note how low she rests in the water - clearly a hefty load.


Grace points out that my below snow phot-o following a Taho blizzard (there was a devastating avalanche one month later). The family car broke down and mom notes: "we depended on the kindness of strangers" to get home. This was the era of the Sony Walkman, which I received for Christmas, and I listened to The Police's "Zenyatta Mondatta," like, a hundred times.


Madeleine: "I want to live in America."
Sonnet: "Why is that?"
Madeleine: "Five reasons.  One - we'd get to see Gracie and Moe all the time. Two - I love it there. Three - It's warmer. Four and five I forget."