Monday, November 9

On Jewishness


Here is a pic of our groovy concert Friday.  We were close-up this time which - surprise! - makes a big difference.
One I am watching closely: Britain's Supreme Court decision regarding 'Jewishness.' Here's the stem: a 12-year-old applies to North London's Jews' Free School (founded in 1732); the boy's father Jewish and his mother a 'converted' Jew. JFS does not accept Mom's religion, boy denied entrance and family sues JFS.  The Supremes will decide whether the school's test of Jewishness based on religion, which is legal, or on race (or ethnicity), which is not.  The issue divisive and all the more interesting, through my American peepers, as JFS could not exist in the US as state schools (for now) not allowed to consider religion in the classroom (never you mind 'creationism,' deary).  Every community in England confronts this issue at some point as state-sponsored religious schools often better than the local general primary or secondary.. how far would you go, as a parent, to ensure the best education for your child?  In the case of JFS the question goes deeper: who decides what is Jewish? The school? Community? Local rabbi? Courts? 


I can honestly say, after three countries and 42 years, I have never experienced anti-semitism.  I am also not a practicing Jew nor look particularly Jewish, whatever that may mean. Hooked nose, I suppose. Many of my friends are Jewish (none with hooked noses) - in fact, probably the majority - which I have wondered about from time to time.  I think  this because of personality or success or whatever, not because of similar last names - but, really, who knows? Maybe we are all drawn to what is familiar despite whatever. In any event, I am proud race was never much of a consideration in Berkeley.  Just look at my sixth grade class photo. Thank you, Moe and Grace.