Saturday, November 7

Airbone Toxic Event


Sonnet and I catch The Airborne Toxic Event last night at the Shepard's Bush Empire (great venue).  The band from California while the name a nod to Don DeLillo's novel White Noise.  The group ensembled in 2007 and released their first album earlier this year which I bought, bored, at Heathrow Airport.  TATE combines a bit of rock-a-billy and punk with a violin and try to hit Arcade Fire's sweet angst.  It works, too, and their show a blow-out. I think even they surprised by their reception, asking "how do you know a small band from LA with one record lasting 37 minutes?" yet we do, jumping wildly at the louder riffs.  Afterwards, lead singer Mike Jollett (center of picture) hangs around for thirty minutes to shake hands and accept accolades.  Must feel pretty good to visit London and be loved so.  Cool.

Before the concert, I meet my gal and we have dinner at a local Thai, as we do every time we are in this part of London for a show.  We catch each other up on a busy week which mostly means Sonnet has to listen to me talk (I do occasionally ask her if she gets bored?).  I revisit a few good meetings and several school runs. We talk about the kids and Sonnet had a drinks-night out with the mums in Eitan's class.  Apparently several of the girls having "issues" and Eitan and pal Cyrus (Egyptian maths genius) asked by the teacher to "act out" best behavior.  Eitan does not seem to mind but who knows?  I also have a physical for insurance where the doctor tells me, "in the end, you will die. This I know for certain." Great.  When not the grim-reaper, he's otherwise pretty funny and we exchange barbs (He: "the rich, you know, often have the most complicated lives. And this makes them unhappy." Me: "You're a doctor on Harley Street - you must be miserable" and so on and so forth. I am pretty darn happy BTW and not rich).  He gives me a thorough running over and, I may report, everything tip-top. I also do one of those echochardiograms where they shave the chest, glue on conducting pads and plant me on the treadmill.  Wish I had a picture of that one. My heart healthy and so I would hope  following Berlin and London this year.

Photo from Airborne Toxic Event promo and I will poste en scene shortly.