Sunday, June 14

Madeleine, Self



I give Madeleine my camera and tell her to "go for it," which she does. We are at my office and I try to do a little work before the week, which sees me across Europe with Correlation Ventures. Madeleine keeps me company though she is bored in, like, 15 minutes. She draws. She tapes. She goes through my desk and looks for things she can take. I am not complaining though - it is a lovely Sunday and I am happy to have some friendship.

I log 13 miles this morning in preparation for Berlin. 14 weeks and counting. My route takes me westward on the Thames from Mortlake to Ham House. From the internets I riff: Ham House built in 1610 for Sir Thomas Vavasour, Knight Marshal to James I and in 1626 passed into the hands of William Murray who had been the "whipping boy" for the future Charles I. He took the punishment on behalf of the young prince, and formed a close bond with him, growing up to share his taste in art and architecture. Between 1637 and 1639, Murray remodelled the interior of Ham. He created the Great Staircase and the suite of sumptuous rooms on the first floor: the Great Dining Room (now the Hall Gallery), the North Drawing Room, and the Long Gallery with its adjoining picture closet. When the Civil War broke out in 1642, Murray naturally joined the Royalist cause, and was created the Earl of Dysart for his loyalty. All this in my backyard. I discovered the place when kids 3 and 2 and Sonnet kicked me out of the house one Sunday morning ("Get out" she said). There are easy trails to walk the estates and stables for polo and show horses. I think then I was as tired as this morning, after ten.