Friday, May 29

Fungus Amongus


Another fascinating fungi found during our Pine Nob hike - pictured. It is a mushroom of some sort and seems to be embedded into the tree by tree-sap. Strangely, I find this formation only once over six miles.

From CT we drive to Bronxville and for the first time I can remember - we find the village on the first shot. Bronxville is one square mile and tucked inside Tuckahoe, Yonkers and Scarsdale and the highways don't mark the town, much to my grief. Most famously in 1985, Danny and I got lost returning from the Palladium and ended up God Knows Where in upstate New York. Worse, we flagged a guy for directions who instructed us to follow him, only to led further astray. We pulled into Marcia's at 6AM, relieved beyond belief. Of course, Larry had forecasted this likely scenario and instructed us firmly to take the train.. In my defense, I was 18. It took me quite a long time to earn back his good graces. Maybe twenty years, in fact. So Bronxville.. a totally charming town with pop. 6,500, a top-notch public school+Sarah Laurance (where Kelley Collard, the hottest girl ever to graduate from BHS, attended), lovely library, brick firehouse and imposing Roman Catholic church all inside a green central area. It is 15 miles or so from Midtown and a perfect 30 minute commute. Not surprisingly, then, the median income per household $144,940, and for a family was $200,000 last year. Proudly, my Aunt Marcia was Bronxville's first mayor from 1977.

We catch a train into GCS then to the Upper West Side to have dinner with Katie and Moe and Grace on Katie's deck around sunset. Mom and dad arrived today for the week and Diane's wedding. Before we sit down, I take Eitan to the school-park across the street to burn some energy and what begins as a simple game of tag-your-it becomes half the playground after me. I learn from the black girls that "1-2-3 get outta my father's apple tree" is the equivalent of "Homie" which absolves being "it'ed." These kids very sweet and urban - I think Eitan fascinated by their difference - and me, I just enjoy being on their level goofing around.