Thursday, October 9

Sia


We see Sia last night at the Shepards Bush Empire, which launched The Who. We are joined by Tilly and Eric, who is an economics advisor to Barak Obama; Jennifer and Ramsey, who invested for the Prince Al Walid; and Erik. Sia Furlow is from Australia and while there made several acid-jazz records but did not reach commercial success until her move to the UK and kick-starting a solo career. She signed with Sony Music in 2000 and away we go. I first became aware of her via Showtime's "Six Feet Under" where her song "Breathe Me" concluded the series in a haunting life's fast-forward. I'm also in tune with Zero 7 (thank you Christian) where she has been the lead vocals. So, her voice: powerful, rich synthetic, which contrasts with her bubbly, girlish stage presence. The audience in rapture generally and turned out: the show sold-out and a good vibe surrounds us.

"Help, I have done it again
I have been here many times before
Hurt myself again today
And, the worst part is there's no-one else to blame

Be my friend
Hold me, wrap me up
Unfold me
I am small
and needy
Warm me up
And breathe me"

Sia, Breath Me

Photo from Sia website