Tuesday, September 16

Tenner


Check out Eitan's side-burns: real 70s football style.

Christian and I attend a recital at St James's Church to hear Sibelius En Saga arr. for septet and Britten Sinfonietta Op 9. Just fabulous and a real treat. Most of the audience elderly with a few weirdos - it is lunch time after all - but the music is world class, performed by the New Chamber Ensemble who are most young musicians probably at or recently graduated from Oxford.


I ask Madeleine to do a simple chore and she refuses. I ask the same of Eitan, who readily accepts and in return he gets a tenner - an outrageous amount - which shocks Madeleine to tears and anger. I tell her that "opportunities should be taken" but this only gets her teeth gnashing. She refuses our bed-time read. She makes a point of slamming her bed-room door. When I cajole Eitan into giving Madeleine half his prize, she refuses. Good on her. We have had a similar exchange before - Madeleine refusing a job, Eitan accepting and getting paid - but last night's extreme reward over the top, though it does crack Sonnet up when I tell her the story. I am certain this not my finest moment as parent.